Saturday 21 August 2010

work v life

It's been a really hectic last number of months. I've come to find that my current bit of life revolves around my job - something that has never occurred before.

Responsibility is up, as are my stress levels (another job aspect that is new). The past couple weeks have been a bit of a discovery time: 1) always cover your own back (eg keep all correspondence so when your boss wants a history of your project you can go back to everything. 2) people don't tend to like you if you're telling them to do something they don't want to do. even if you're bound by law to tell them and they're bound by law to do it.

On the other side of all this stress has been the absolute joy to work with a 'new' colleague. Unfortunately, my new colleague doesn't work in office, so although we talk on the phone nearly every day, we're not normally face to face. I've never before met someone and immediately wanted them to be my boss. This man is that person. But out of a work relationship has built a really lovely friendship. Even more so that his wife and my husband have come into it and we've moved past "work" to become friends. Makes keeping work, work quite interesting, but I can cope with that.

The downside of all this is that work has really taken over in ways it hasn't before. Way more hours than desired, although necessary to get certain aspects done, and thus the non-work aspects of life have sort of fallen by the way-side.

Work / life balance needs some focus.

No comments: