Friday 25 March 2011

travelling...

This week I'm heading to London for a few meetings. Times like this I love my job. I get to meet up with people who have jobs I think are incredibly fascinating and see if I can get them telling stories. The only odd thing about it is that I am usually the only female. Granted, how many women actually do work in the government/utility industries? Not many. So I end up being surrounded by men (most of whom are old enough to be my dad) and laughing at how nearly over-protective they are. There are a few who seem to think that I actually know what I'm talking about and listen to my views - this is always nice. But there are a lot more who give off the impression of "oh bless, isn't she cute playing at this? we'd better humour her." I distinctly dislike this side of things. It's not like it's MY fault I'm young and female. Sheesh, gimme a couple years and it'll sort itself out...at least the young bit. (hehehe)

Then there are ones like this one who seems to think that my only reason for being in London should be to go out for a drink with him and that I work too much. He doesn't seem to get that his attention is unwanted and definitely unlooked for. How many times do you have to say "no thank you" before someone gets the idea that you're not going to go? Obviously more than I have already said - silly man, it's not going to happen.

But even so, I am going to enjoy this trip - staying with great friends, sushi lunches with people who make me laugh and a little bit of Anna Chapman.

No comments: